Install Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Rel 5 against an existing Oracle 11g database on Oracle Enterprise Linux version 5, step by step.
3. Reference Information
4. Creating the Oracle Enterprise Template
* Prepare the DVD
* Install Oracle Enterprise Linux Release 5 Update 3
* Add the Missing Libraries
* Configure Kernel Parameters
* Save Template
5. Create Database Virtual Machine from OEL 5.3 Template
* Create U01 Mount Point
* Create the Oracle User and setup Environment
6. Create Management Service Virtual Machine
* Set Management Service Server IP address and host name
7. Install Enterprise Manager Grid Control Repository Database (22.214.171.124.0)
* Install Oracle Database 11g Rel 1 (126.96.36.199)
* Install Oracle Database 11g Patchset 1 (188.8.131.52)
* Configure the Listener
* Create the Database
* Configure the Database
8. Install Enterprise Manager Grid Control Management Service
* Install Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Rel 2 (10.2.0.1)
* Install Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Rel 5 (10.2.0.5)
* Configuring the Grid Control Installation with the ConfigureGC.pl Script
9. Running Enterprise Manager Grid Control 10.2.0.5
10. Install Enterprise Manager Grid Control Agent
* Install EM Agent 10g Rel 5 (10.2.0.5)
* Configure Database
Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Release 2 became available in November 2005 and all subsequent versions are currently deployed as an upgrade to that release. Unfortunately, the pre-requisites for the initial release do not support the current releases of the operating system or database, and the support matrix for 10.2.0.1 requires a 10g Release 1 database.
To alleviate this issue, the current release of Oracle Enterprise Manager (Release 5 at the time of writing) supports a software-only install, allowing the product to be installed against current versions of the operating system and database.
This guide details the process for installing that version of Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control against an existing Oracle 11g database on Oracle Enterprise Linux version 5. For the purpose of this guide Oracle VM 2.1.2 has been used as a test bed and the latest patches of all products have been used throughout.
The following is required for this installation method:
2 x servers These servers can be physical or virtual, and although it is possible to install onto a single server, it is not recommended. In this guide I am
using two virtual servers deployed out of Oracle VM 2.1.2.
OEL 5.3 Oracle Enterprise Linux Release 5 update 3; x86 32bit version on DVD
184.108.40.206.0 Oracle Database 11g Release 1
220.127.116.11.0 Oracle Database 11g Release 1 – first patch-set (optional)
10.2.0.1.0 Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Rel 1 software
10.2.0.5.0 Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Rel 5 software and Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Agent Rel 5
Software; this release is fully supported against 11g databases and on the current operating systems.
3. Reference Information
The following information guides and reference documents have been used to compile this guide.
B32281-04 Oracle Database Quick Installation Guide 11g Release 1 (11.1) for Linux x86
E10953-07 Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control Installation Guide 10g Release 5 (10.2.0.5.0)
E14503-01 Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control Release Notes for Linux and Microsoft Windows 10g Release 5 (10.2.0.5.0)
Note 784963.1 “How to install Grid Control 10.2.0.5.0 on Enterprise Linux 5 Using the Existing Database (11g) Option”
Note 602750.1 “ConfigureGC.pl Reports - Invalid Username/Password”
Bug 7483221 “ConfigureGC.pl is failing with invalid password for SYS”