Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> MySQL Tutorials
MySQL Tutorial - Accessing MySQL Server through Firewalls
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Access MySQL Servers through Firewalls?
If your MySQL server is provided by an Internet service company, connecting
to the server from your local machine will not be so easy, because there are
firewalls between your local machine and your MySQL server as shown below:
As you can see, the first firewall could be the one on your local network,
if you are using a local computer in an office environment. The second firewall
will be the one on your MySQL server provider's network. Usually, firewalls will not
allow any network traffic with port number 3306. So there is no way you can run
your PHP scripts on your local machine to connect directly to your MySQL server located on
your service provider's network.
You have several choices to solve this:
- Requesting VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection from your MySQL server provider.
This could be too expensive for personal uses.
- Requesting SSH (Secure SHell) service from your MySQL server provider. This is usually included
in your Internet service package. So no extra cost.
- Giving up running your PHP scripts on your local machine. Move them to Web server provided
by your MySQL server provider. And run your PHP scripts as Web pages. There will no firewall between
the Web server and the MySQL server.
(Continued on next topic...)
- How To Install PHP on Windows?
- How To Verify Your PHP Installation?
- What Do You Need to Connect PHP to MySQL?
- How To Turn on mysql Extension on the PHP Engine?
- How To Connect to a MySQL Server with Default Port Number?
- How To Connect to a MySQL Server with a Port Number?
- How To Connect to MySQL Server with User Accounts?
- How To Access MySQL Servers through Firewalls?
- How To Get Some Basic Information Back from MySQL Servers?
- How To Close MySQL Connection Objects?
- How To Get a List of Databases from MySQL Servers?
- How To Create a New Database?
- What Happens If You Do Not Have Privileges to Create Database?
- How To Get MySQL Statement Execution Errors?
- How To Drop an Existing Database?
- How To Select an Exiting Database?
- Can You Select Someone Else Database?
- How To Execute a SQL Statement?