Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> MySQL Tutorials
MySQL Tutorial - What Is a Result Set Object
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Is a Result Set Object?
A result set object is a logical representation of data rows returned by mysql_query()
function on SELECT statements. Every result set object has an internal pointer used to identify
the current row in the result set. Once you get a result set object, you can use the following
functions to retrieve detail information:
- mysql_free_result($res) - Closes this result set object.
- mysql_num_rows($res) - Returns the number rows in the result set.
- mysql_num_fields($res) - Returns the number fields in the result set.
- mysql_fetch_row($res) - Returns an array contains the current row indexed by field position numbers.
- mysql_fetch_assoc($res) - Returns an array contains the current row indexed by field names.
- mysql_fetch_array($res) - Returns an array contains the current row with double indexes:
field position numbers and filed names.
- mysql_fetch_lengths($res) - Returns an array contains lengths of all fields in the last row returned.
- mysql_field_name($res, $i) - Returns the name of the field of the specified index.
(Continued on next topic...)
- How To Create a New Table?
- How To Get the Number of Rows Selected or Affected by a SQL Statement?
- How To Insert Data into an Existing Table?
- How To Fix the INSERT Command Denied Error?
- How To Insert Multiple Rows with a SELECT Statement?
- What Is a Result Set Object?
- How To Query Tables and Loop through the Returning Rows?
- How To Break Query Output into Pages?
- How To Update Existing Rows in a Table?
- How To Delete Existing Rows in a Table?
- How To Quote Text Values in SQL Statements?
- How To Quote Date and Time Values in SQL Statements?
- How To Display a Past Time in Days, Hours and Minutes?
- How To Perform Key Word Search in Tables?
- How To Build WHERE Criteria with Web Form Search Fields?
- How To Query Multiple Tables Jointly?
- How To Define the ID Column as Auto-Incremented?
- How To Get the Last ID Assigned by MySQL?