Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> MySQL Tutorials
MySQL Tutorials - Introduction to SQL Basics
A collection of 26 FAQs on MySQL SQL basics. Clear answers are provided with tutorial exercises on character and numeric data types; quoting character strings; ASCII and UTF8 character sets; NULL values and NULL conditions; IN and LIKE conditions.
Topics included in this collection are:
- What Is SQL Standard?
- How Many Groups of Data Types?
- What Are Character String Data Types?
- What Are the Differences between CHAR and NCHAR?
- What Are the Differences between CHAR and VARCHAR?
- What Are the Differences between BINARY and VARBINARY?
- What Are Numeric Data Types?
- What Are Date and Time Data Types?
- How To Calculate Expressions with SELECT Statements?
- How To Include Comments in SQL Statements?
- How To Include Character Strings in SQL statements?
- How To Escape Special Characters in SQL statements?
- How To Concatenate Two Character Strings?
- How To Include Numeric Values in SQL statements?
- How To Enter Characters as HEX Numbers?
- How To Enter Numeric Values as HEX Numbers?
- How To Enter Binary Numbers in SQL Statements?
- How To Enter Boolean Values in SQL Statements?
- What Are NULL Values?
- What Happens If NULL Values Are Involved in Expressions?
- How To Convert Numeric Values to Character Strings?
- How To Convert Character Strings to Numeric Values?
- How To Use IN Conditions?
- How To Use LIKE Conditions?
- How To Use Regular Expression in Pattern Match Conditions?
- How To Use CASE Expression?
Please note that all answers and tutorials are based on MySQL 5.0. Tutorial exercises
should be executed with "mysql" or other MySQL client programs.
(Continued on next topic...)