Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> MySQL Tutorials
MySQL Tutorials - Understanding SQL INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE Statements
A collection of 17 FAQs on Oracle SQL DML statements. Clear answers are provided with tutorial exercises on inserting and updating data rows; inserting and updating with subqueries; deleting data rows.
Topics included in this FAQ are:
- What Are DML Statements?
- How To Create a Testing Table?
- How To Insert a New Row into a Table?
- How To Specify Default Values in INSERT Statement?
- How To Omit Columns with Default Values in INSERT Statement?
- What Happens If Unique Value Constraints Are Violated?
- How To Insert Multiple Rows with One INSERT Statement?
- How To Update Values in a Table?
- How To Update Column Values on Multiple Rows?
- How To Use Existing Column Values in the SET Clause?
- Is the Order of Columns in the SET Clause Important?
- How To Use Values from Other Tables in UPDATE Statements?
- What Happens If the UPDATE Subquery Returns No Rows?
- What Happens If the UPDATE Subquery Returns Multiple Rows?
- How To Delete an Existing Row from a Table?
- How To Delete Multiple Rows from a Table?
- How To Delete All Rows in a Table?
Please note that all answers and tutorials are based on MySQL 5.0. Tutorial exercises
should be executed with "mysql" or other MySQL client programs. It is also assumed that
you have a MySQL user account and a predefined database with enough privileges.
Some sample scripts requires database tables created by other samples in the beginning of the collection.
(Continued on next topic...)