Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> MySQL Tutorials
MySQL Tutorials - SQL SELECT Query Statements with GROUP BY
A collection of 20 FAQs on MySQL SELECT query statements and basic features. Clear answers are provided with tutorial exercises on selecting rows and columns from tables and views; sorting and counting query outputs; grouping outputs and applying group functions.
Topics included in this FAQ are:
- What Is a SELECT Query Statement?
- How To Create a Testing Table with Test Data?
- How To Select All Columns of All Rows from a Table?
- How To Select Some Columns from a Table?
- How To Select Some Rows from a Table?
- How To Add More Data to the Testing Table?
- How To Sort the Query Output?
- Can the Query Output Be Sorted by Multiple Columns?
- How To Sort Output in Descending Order?
- How To Use SELECT Statement to Count Number of Rows?
- Can SELECT Statements Be Used on Views?
- How To Filter Out Duplications in Returning Rows?
- What Are Group Functions?
- How To Use Group Functions in the SELECT Clause?
- Can Group Functions Be Mixed with Non-group Selection Fields?
- How To Divide Query Output into Groups?
- How To Apply Filtering Criteria at Group Level?
- How To Count Duplicated Values in a Column?
- Can Multiple Columns Be Used in GROUP BY?
- Can Group Functions Be Used in the ORDER BY Clause?
Please note that all answers and tutorials are based on MySQL 5.0. Tutorial exercises
should be executed with "mysql" or other MySQL client programs. It is also assumed that
you have a MySQL user account and a predefined database with enough privileges.
Some sample scripts requires database tables created by other samples in the beginning of the collection.
For questions on SELECT statements with join tables, and subqueries, see the next FAQ collection.
(Continued on next topic...)