Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> MySQL Tutorials
MySQL Tutorials - SQL SELECT Statements with JOIN and Subqueries
A collection of 16 FAQs on MySQL SELECT statements with JOIN and subqueries. Clear answers are provided with tutorial exercises on joining multiple tables with inner and outer joins; using subqueries with IN, EXISTS, and FROM clauses; using UNION operations.
Topics included in this FAQ are:
- How To Join Two Tables in a Single Query?
- How To Write a Query with an Inner Join?
- How To Define and Use Table Alias Names?
- How To Write a Query with a Left Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Right Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Full Outer Join?
- How To Write an Inner Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Name Query Output Columns?
- What Is a Subquery?
- How To Use Subqueries with the IN Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries with the EXISTS Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries in the FROM clause?
- How To Count Groups Returned with the GROUP BY Clause?
- How To Return Top 5 Rows?
- How To Return the Second 5 Rows?
- How To Use UNION to Merge Outputs from Two Queries Together?
Please note that all answers and tutorials are based on MySQL 5.0. Tutorial exercises
should be executed with "mysql" or other MySQL client programs. It is also assumed that
you have a MySQL user account and a predefined database with enough privileges.
Some sample scripts requires database tables created by other samples in the beginning of the collection.
For questions on SELECT statement basics and GROUP BY, see the previous FAQ collection.
(Continued on next topic...)