Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Built-in Tablespaces in a Database
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Are the Predefined Tablespaces in a Database?
When you create a new database, Oracle server will create 4 required tablespaces
for the new database:
- SYSTEM Tablespace - Every Oracle database contains a tablespace named SYSTEM, which Oracle creates
automatically when the database is created. The SYSTEM tablespace is always online
when the database is open.
- SYSAUX Tablespace - The SYSAUX tablespace was installed as an auxiliary tablespace to the SYSTEM
tablespace when you created your database. Some database components that formerly
created and used separate tablespaces now occupy the SYSAUX tablespace.
- UNDO Tablespace - UNDO tablespaces are special tablespaces used solely for storing undo information.
You cannot create any other segment types (for example, tables or indexes) in undo
tablespaces. Each database contains zero or more undo tablespaces. In automatic undo
management mode, each Oracle instance is assigned one (and only one) undo
tablespace. Undo data is managed within an undo tablespace using undo segments
that are automatically created and maintained by Oracle.
- TEMP Tablespace - When the SYSTEM tablespace is locally managed, you must define at least one default
temporary tablespace when creating a database. A locally managed SYSTEM
tablespace cannot be used for default temporary storage.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is an Oracle Tablespace?
- What Is an Oracle Data File?
- How a Tablespace Is Related to Data Files?
- How a Database Is Related to Tablespaces?
- How To View Tablespaces in the Current Database?
- What Are the Predefined Tablespaces in a Database?
- How To View Data Files in the Current Database?
- How To Create a New Oracle Data File?
- How To Create a New Tablespace?
- How To Rename a Tablespace?
- How To Drop a Tablespace?
- What Happens to Data Files If a Tablespace Is Dropped?
- How To Create a Table in a Specific Tablespace?
- How To See Free Space of Each Tablespace?
- How To Bring a Tablespace Offline?
- How To Bring a Tablespace Online?
- How To Add Another Datafile to a Tablespace?
- What Happens If You Lost a Data File?
- How Remove Data Files before Opening a Database?