Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Change Settings in Binary SPFile
(Continued from previous topic...)
What To Do If the Binary SPFile Is Wrong for the Default Instance?
Let's say the SPFile for the default instance is a binary file, and some settings are
wrong in the SPFile, like SGA setting is bellow 20MB, how do you change a setting in the binary file?
This seems to be a hard task, because the binary SPFile is not allowed to be edited manually.
It needs to be updated by the server with instance started. But you can not start the instance
because the SPFile has a wrong setting.
One way to solve the problem is to stop using the binary SPFile, and use a text version
of the a parameter file to start the instance. Here is an example of how to use the backup copy
(text version) of the parameter file for the default instance to start the instance:
Enter user-name: SYSTEM/fyicenter AS SYSDBA
Connected to an idle instance
ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area 146800640 bytes
Fixed Size 1286220 bytes
Variable Size 58724276 bytes
Database Buffers 83886080 bytes
Redo Buffers 2904064 bytes
As you can see, 10g XE is distributed with a backup copy of the parameter file for the default instance XE.
The "startup" can take an option called PFILE to let you use a SPFILE from any location.
The default instance is running correctly now.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is Oracle Database 10g Express Edition?
- What Are the Limitations of Oracle Database 10g XE?
- What Operating Systems Are Supported by Oracle Database 10g XE?
- How To Download Oracle Database 10g XE?
- How To Install Oracle Database 10g XE?
- How To Check Your Oracle Database 10g XE Installation?
- How To Shutdown Your 10g XE Server?
- How To Start Your 10g XE Server?
- How Much Memory Your 10g XE Server Is Using?
- How To Start Your 10g XE Server from Command Line?
- How To Shutdown Your 10g XE Server from Command Line?
- How To Unlock the Sample User Account?
- How To Change System Global Area (SGA)?
- How To Change Program Global Area (PGA)?
- What Happens If You Set the SGA Too Low?
- What To Do If the StartDB.bat Failed to Start the XE Instance?
- How To Login to the Server without an Instance?
- How To Use "startup" Command to Start Default Instance?
- Where Are the Settings Stored for Each Instance?
- What To Do If the Binary SPFile Is Wrong for the Default Instance?
- How To Check the Server Version?