Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Error: Could not Resolve the Connect Identifier
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Happens If You Use a Wrong Connect Identifier?
Of course, you will get an error, if you use a wrong connect identifier. Here is an example of
how SQL*Plus react to a wrong connect identifier:
SQL> CONNECT fyi/retneciyf@WRONG;
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier
Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
What you need to do in this case:
- Check the CONNECT command to make sure that the connect identifier is entered correctly.
- Check the tnsnames.ora file to make sure that the connect identifier is defined correctly.
- Check the tnsnames.ora file to make sure that there is no multiple definitions of the same connect identifier.
- Check your files system to see if you have multiple copies of tnsnames.ora in different Oracle home directories,
because you installed multiple versions of Oracle. If you do have multiple copies, make sure your SQL*Plus
session is picking up the correct copy of tnsnames.ora.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is SQL*Plus?
- How To Start the Command-Line SQL*Plus?
- How To Get Help at the SQL Prompt?
- What Information Is Needed to Connect SQL*Plus an Oracle Server?
- What Is a Connect Identifier?
- How To Connect a SQL*Plus Session to an Oracle Server?
- What Happens If You Use a Wrong Connect Identifier?
- What To Do If DBA Lost the SYSTEM Password?
- What Types of Commands Can Be Executed in SQL*Plus?
- How To Run SQL Commands in SQL*Plus?
- How To Run PL/SQL Statements in SQL*Plus?
- How To Change SQL*Plus System Settings?
- How To Look at the Current SQL*Plus System Settings?
- What Are SQL*Plus Environment Variables?
- How To Generate Query Output in HTML Format?
- What Is Output Spooling in SQL*Plus?
- How To Save Query Output to a Local File?
- What Is Input Buffer in SQL*Plus?
- How To Revise and Re-Run the Last SQL Command?
- How Run SQL*Plus Commands That Are Stored in a Local File?
- How To Use SQL*Plus Built-in Timers?
- What Is Oracle Server Autotrace?
- How To Set Up Autotrace for a User Account?
- How To Get Execution Path Reports on Query Statements?
- How To Get Execution Statistics Reports on Query Statements?