Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Main Features of SQL*Plus
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Is SQL*Plus?
SQL*Plus is an interactive and batch query tool that is installed with every Oracle
Database Server or Client installation. It has a command-line user interface, a
Windows Graphical User Interface (GUI) and the iSQL*Plus web-based user
SQL*Plus has its own commands and environment, and it provides access to the
Oracle Database. It enables you to enter and execute SQL, PL/SQL, SQL*Plus and
operating system commands to perform the following:
- Format, perform calculations on, store, and print from query results
- Examine table and object definitions
- Develop and run batch scripts
- Perform database administration
You can use SQL*Plus to generate reports interactively, to generate reports as batch
processes, and to output the results to text file, to screen, or to HTML file for
browsing on the Internet. You can generate reports dynamically using the HTML
output facility of SQL*Plus, or using the dynamic reporting capability of iSQL*Plus
to run a script from a web page.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is SQL*Plus?
- How To Start the Command-Line SQL*Plus?
- How To Get Help at the SQL Prompt?
- What Information Is Needed to Connect SQL*Plus an Oracle Server?
- What Is a Connect Identifier?
- How To Connect a SQL*Plus Session to an Oracle Server?
- What Happens If You Use a Wrong Connect Identifier?
- What To Do If DBA Lost the SYSTEM Password?
- What Types of Commands Can Be Executed in SQL*Plus?
- How To Run SQL Commands in SQL*Plus?
- How To Run PL/SQL Statements in SQL*Plus?
- How To Change SQL*Plus System Settings?
- How To Look at the Current SQL*Plus System Settings?
- What Are SQL*Plus Environment Variables?
- How To Generate Query Output in HTML Format?
- What Is Output Spooling in SQL*Plus?
- How To Save Query Output to a Local File?
- What Is Input Buffer in SQL*Plus?
- How To Revise and Re-Run the Last SQL Command?
- How Run SQL*Plus Commands That Are Stored in a Local File?
- How To Use SQL*Plus Built-in Timers?
- What Is Oracle Server Autotrace?
- How To Set Up Autotrace for a User Account?
- How To Get Execution Path Reports on Query Statements?
- How To Get Execution Statistics Reports on Query Statements?