Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Original Export/Import Utilities
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Are the Original Export and Import Utilities?
Oracle original Export and Import utilities are standalone programs that provide you
a simple way for you to transfer data objects between Oracle databases,
even if they reside on platforms with different hardware and software configurations.
When you run Export against an Oracle database, objects (such as tables) are
extracted, followed by their related objects (such as indexes, comments, and grants),
if any. The extracted data is written to an export dump file. The Import utility reads
the object definitions and table data from the dump file.
An export file is an Oracle binary-format dump file that is typically located on disk
or tape. The dump files can be transferred using FTP or physically transported (in
the case of tape) to a different site. The files can then be used with the Import utility
to transfer data between databases that are on systems not connected through a
network. The files can also be used as backups in addition to normal backup
Export and Import utilities are now being replaced by Data Pump Export and Import utilities
in Oracle 10g. But you can still use them.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is the Simplest Tool to Run Commands on Oracle Servers?
- What Is the Quickest Way to Export a Table to a Flat File?
- How To Export Data with a Field Delimiter?
- What Is SQL*Loader?
- What Is a SQL*Loader Control File?
- How To Load Data with SQL*Loader?
- What Is an External Table?
- How To Load Data through External Tables?
- What Are the Restrictions on External Table Columns?
- What Is a Directory Object?
- How To Define an External Table in a Text File?
- How To Run Queries on External Tables?
- How To Load Data from External Tables to Regular Tables?
- What Is the Data Pump Export Utility?
- What Is the Data Pump Import Utility?
- How To Invoke the Data Pump Export Utility?
- How To Invoke the Data Pump Import Utility?
- What Are Data Pump Export and Import Modes?
- How To Estimate Disk Space Needed for an Export Job?
- How To Do a Full Database Export?
- Where Is the Export Dump File Located?
- How To Export Your Own Schema?
- How To Export Several Tables Together?
- What Happens If the Imported Table Already Exists?
- How To Import One Table Back from a Dump File?
- What Are the Original Export and Import Utilities?
- How To Invoke Original Export/Import Utilities?