Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Query Output Sorted by Multiple Columns
(Continued from previous topic...)
Can the Query Output Be Sorted by Multiple Columns?
You can specifying multiple columns in the ORDER BY clause as shown in
the following example statement, which returns employees' salaries sorted
by department and salary value:
SQL> SELECT department_id, first_name, last_name, salary
FROM employees ORDER BY department_id, salary;
DEPARTMENT_ID FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME SALARY
------------- --------------- --------------- ----------
10 Jennifer Whalen 4400
20 Pat Fay 6000
20 Michael Hartstein 13000
30 Karen Colmenares 2500
30 Guy Himuro 2600
30 Sigal Tobias 2800
30 Shelli Baida 2900
30 Alexander Khoo 3100
30 Den Raphaely 11000
40 Susan Mavris 6500
50 TJ Olson 2100
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is a SELECT Query Statement?
- How To Select All Columns of All Rows from a Table?
- How To Select Some Columns from a Table?
- How To Select Some Rows from a Table?
- How To Sort the Query Output?
- Can the Query Output Be Sorted by Multiple Columns?
- How To Sort Query Output in Descending Order?
- How To Use SELECT Statement to Count the Number of Rows?
- Can SELECT Statements Be Used on Views?
- How To Filter Out Duplications in Returning Rows?
- What Are Group Functions?
- How To Use Group Functions in the SELECT Clause?
- Can Group Functions Be Mixed with Non-group Selection Fields?
- How To Divide Query Output into Groups?
- How To Apply Filtering Criteria at Group Level?
- How To Count Duplicated Values in a Column?
- Can Multiple Columns Be Used in GROUP BY?
- Can Group Functions Be Used in the ORDER BY Clause?
- How To Join Two Tables in a Single Query?
- How To Write a Query with an Inner Join?
- How To Define and Use Table Alias Names?
- How To Write a Query with a Left Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Right Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Full Outer Join?
- How To Write an Inner Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Write a Left Outer Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Name Query Output Columns?
- What Is a Subquery?
- How To Use Subqueries with the IN Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries with the EXISTS Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries in the FROM Clause?
- How To Count Groups Returned with the GROUP BY Clause?
- How To Return Top 5 Rows?