Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Query with an Inner Join
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Write a Query with an Inner Join?
If you want to query from two tables with an inner join, you can use the
INNER JOIN ... ON clause in the FROM clause. The following query returns output
with an inner join from two tables: employees and departments. The join condition
is that the department ID in the employees table equals to the department ID
in the departments table:
SQL> SELECT employees.first_name, employees.last_name,
3 FROM employees INNER JOIN departments
4 ON employees.department_id=departments.department_id;
FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME DEPARTMENT_NAME
-------------------- -------------------- ---------------
Steven King Executive
Neena Kochhar Executive
Lex De Haan Executive
Alexander Hunold IT
Bruce Ernst IT
David Austin IT
Valli Pataballa IT
Note that when multiple tables are used in a query, column names
need to be prefixed with table names in case the same column name
is used in both tables.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is a SELECT Query Statement?
- How To Select All Columns of All Rows from a Table?
- How To Select Some Columns from a Table?
- How To Select Some Rows from a Table?
- How To Sort the Query Output?
- Can the Query Output Be Sorted by Multiple Columns?
- How To Sort Query Output in Descending Order?
- How To Use SELECT Statement to Count the Number of Rows?
- Can SELECT Statements Be Used on Views?
- How To Filter Out Duplications in Returning Rows?
- What Are Group Functions?
- How To Use Group Functions in the SELECT Clause?
- Can Group Functions Be Mixed with Non-group Selection Fields?
- How To Divide Query Output into Groups?
- How To Apply Filtering Criteria at Group Level?
- How To Count Duplicated Values in a Column?
- Can Multiple Columns Be Used in GROUP BY?
- Can Group Functions Be Used in the ORDER BY Clause?
- How To Join Two Tables in a Single Query?
- How To Write a Query with an Inner Join?
- How To Define and Use Table Alias Names?
- How To Write a Query with a Left Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Right Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Full Outer Join?
- How To Write an Inner Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Write a Left Outer Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Name Query Output Columns?
- What Is a Subquery?
- How To Use Subqueries with the IN Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries with the EXISTS Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries in the FROM Clause?
- How To Count Groups Returned with the GROUP BY Clause?
- How To Return Top 5 Rows?