Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Return Top 5 Rows
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Return Top 5 Rows?
If you want the query to return only the first 5 rows, you can use
the pseudo column called ROWNUM in the WHERE clause. ROWNUM contains
the row number of each returning row from the query. The following
statement returns the first 5 rows from the employees table:
SQL> SELECT employee_id, first_name, last_name
FROM employees WHERE ROWNUM <= 5;
EMPLOYEE_ID FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME
----------- -------------------- -------------
100 Steven King
101 Neena Kochhar
102 Lex De Haan
103 Alexander Hunold
104 Bruce Ernst
- What Is a SELECT Query Statement?
- How To Select All Columns of All Rows from a Table?
- How To Select Some Columns from a Table?
- How To Select Some Rows from a Table?
- How To Sort the Query Output?
- Can the Query Output Be Sorted by Multiple Columns?
- How To Sort Query Output in Descending Order?
- How To Use SELECT Statement to Count the Number of Rows?
- Can SELECT Statements Be Used on Views?
- How To Filter Out Duplications in Returning Rows?
- What Are Group Functions?
- How To Use Group Functions in the SELECT Clause?
- Can Group Functions Be Mixed with Non-group Selection Fields?
- How To Divide Query Output into Groups?
- How To Apply Filtering Criteria at Group Level?
- How To Count Duplicated Values in a Column?
- Can Multiple Columns Be Used in GROUP BY?
- Can Group Functions Be Used in the ORDER BY Clause?
- How To Join Two Tables in a Single Query?
- How To Write a Query with an Inner Join?
- How To Define and Use Table Alias Names?
- How To Write a Query with a Left Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Right Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Full Outer Join?
- How To Write an Inner Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Write a Left Outer Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Name Query Output Columns?
- What Is a Subquery?
- How To Use Subqueries with the IN Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries with the EXISTS Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries in the FROM Clause?
- How To Count Groups Returned with the GROUP BY Clause?
- How To Return Top 5 Rows?