Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Sort the Query Output
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Sort the Query Output?
If you want the returning rows to be sorted, you can specify
a sorting expression in the ORDER BY clause. The following select statement
returns rows sorted by the values in the "manager_id" column:
SQL> SELECT * FROM departments ORDER BY manager_id;
DEPARTMENT_ID DEPARTMENT_NAME MANAGER_ID LOCATION_ID
------------- -------------------- ---------- -----------
90 Executive 100 1700
60 IT 103 1400
100 Finance 108 1700
30 Purchasing 114 1700
50 Shipping 121 1500
80 Sales 145 2500
10 Administration 200 1700
20 Marketing 201 1800
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is a SELECT Query Statement?
- How To Select All Columns of All Rows from a Table?
- How To Select Some Columns from a Table?
- How To Select Some Rows from a Table?
- How To Sort the Query Output?
- Can the Query Output Be Sorted by Multiple Columns?
- How To Sort Query Output in Descending Order?
- How To Use SELECT Statement to Count the Number of Rows?
- Can SELECT Statements Be Used on Views?
- How To Filter Out Duplications in Returning Rows?
- What Are Group Functions?
- How To Use Group Functions in the SELECT Clause?
- Can Group Functions Be Mixed with Non-group Selection Fields?
- How To Divide Query Output into Groups?
- How To Apply Filtering Criteria at Group Level?
- How To Count Duplicated Values in a Column?
- Can Multiple Columns Be Used in GROUP BY?
- Can Group Functions Be Used in the ORDER BY Clause?
- How To Join Two Tables in a Single Query?
- How To Write a Query with an Inner Join?
- How To Define and Use Table Alias Names?
- How To Write a Query with a Left Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Right Outer Join?
- How To Write a Query with a Full Outer Join?
- How To Write an Inner Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Write a Left Outer Join with the WHERE Clause?
- How To Name Query Output Columns?
- What Is a Subquery?
- How To Use Subqueries with the IN Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries with the EXISTS Operator?
- How To Use Subqueries in the FROM Clause?
- How To Count Groups Returned with the GROUP BY Clause?
- How To Return Top 5 Rows?