Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - StartDB.bat Failed to Start the XE Instance
(Continued from previous topic...)
What To Do If the StartDB.bat Failed to Start the XE Instance?
If StartDB.bat failed to start the XE instance, you need to try to start the instance with
other approaches to get detail error messages on why the instance can not be started.
One good approach to start the default instance is to use SQL*Plus. Here is how to use SQL*Plus
to start the default instance in a command window:
>cd (OracleXE home directory)
Enter user-name: SYSTEM
Enter password: fyicenter
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
The first "cd" is to move the current directory the 10g XE home directory.
The second command ".\bin\startdb" is to make sure the TNS listener is running.
The third command ".\bin\sqlplus" launches SQL*Plus.
The error message "ORA-27101" tells you that there is a memory problem with the default instance.
So you can not use the normal login process to the server without a good instance.
See other tips on how to log into a server without any instance.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is Oracle Database 10g Express Edition?
- What Are the Limitations of Oracle Database 10g XE?
- What Operating Systems Are Supported by Oracle Database 10g XE?
- How To Download Oracle Database 10g XE?
- How To Install Oracle Database 10g XE?
- How To Check Your Oracle Database 10g XE Installation?
- How To Shutdown Your 10g XE Server?
- How To Start Your 10g XE Server?
- How Much Memory Your 10g XE Server Is Using?
- How To Start Your 10g XE Server from Command Line?
- How To Shutdown Your 10g XE Server from Command Line?
- How To Unlock the Sample User Account?
- How To Change System Global Area (SGA)?
- How To Change Program Global Area (PGA)?
- What Happens If You Set the SGA Too Low?
- What To Do If the StartDB.bat Failed to Start the XE Instance?
- How To Login to the Server without an Instance?
- How To Use "startup" Command to Start Default Instance?
- Where Are the Settings Stored for Each Instance?
- What To Do If the Binary SPFile Is Wrong for the Default Instance?
- How To Check the Server Version?