Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> Oracle Tutorials
Oracle Tutorials - Types of Commands Executed in SQL*Plus
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Types of Commands Can Be Executed in SQL*Plus?
There are 4 types of commands you can run at the SQL*Plus command line prompt:
1. SQL commands - Standard SQL statements to be executed on target database on the Oracle server.
For example: "SELECT * FROM fyi_faq;" is a SQL command.
2. PL/SQL commands - PL/SQL statements to be executed by the Oracle server.
For example: "EXECUTE DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Welcome to dba.fyicenter.com')" runs a PL/SQL command.
SQL*Plus commands - Commands to be executed by the local SQL*Plus program itself.
For example: "SET NULL 'NULL'" is a SQL*Plus command.
OS commands - Commands to be executed by the local operating system.
For example: "HOST dir" runs an operating system command on the local machine.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is SQL*Plus?
- How To Start the Command-Line SQL*Plus?
- How To Get Help at the SQL Prompt?
- What Information Is Needed to Connect SQL*Plus an Oracle Server?
- What Is a Connect Identifier?
- How To Connect a SQL*Plus Session to an Oracle Server?
- What Happens If You Use a Wrong Connect Identifier?
- What To Do If DBA Lost the SYSTEM Password?
- What Types of Commands Can Be Executed in SQL*Plus?
- How To Run SQL Commands in SQL*Plus?
- How To Run PL/SQL Statements in SQL*Plus?
- How To Change SQL*Plus System Settings?
- How To Look at the Current SQL*Plus System Settings?
- What Are SQL*Plus Environment Variables?
- How To Generate Query Output in HTML Format?
- What Is Output Spooling in SQL*Plus?
- How To Save Query Output to a Local File?
- What Is Input Buffer in SQL*Plus?
- How To Revise and Re-Run the Last SQL Command?
- How Run SQL*Plus Commands That Are Stored in a Local File?
- How To Use SQL*Plus Built-in Timers?
- What Is Oracle Server Autotrace?
- How To Set Up Autotrace for a User Account?
- How To Get Execution Path Reports on Query Statements?
- How To Get Execution Statistics Reports on Query Statements?