Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - CHARINDEX() and SUBSTRING() - Locating and Taking Substrings
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Locate and Take Substrings with CHARINDEX() and SUBSTRING() Functions?
Transact-SQL is not a language designed for manipulating strings, but it does have two
simple functions to locate and take substrings: CHARINDEX() and SUBSTRING().
The tutorial exercise below assumes two given strings: 'Pages: 18' and 'Words: 3240'.
The objective is to calculate the number of words per page.
Read the script below to see how this is done by using CHARINDEX() and SUBSTRING()
DECLARE @sPages VARCHAR(40), @sWords VARCHAR(40);
SET @sPages = 'Pages: 18';
SET @sWords = 'Words: 3240';
SET @sPages = SUBSTRING(@sPages, CHARINDEX(':', @sPages)+1, 20);
SET @sWords = SUBSTRING(@sWords, CHARINDEX(':', @sWords)+1, 20);
PRINT 'Number of words per page: '
+ CONVERT(VARCHAR(20), CONVERT(INT, @sWords)/CONVERT(INT, @sPages));
Number of words per page: 180
If you are a PHP developer, you can get this done in a much quick way.
(Continued on next topic...)
- How To Concatenate Two Character Strings Together?
- What Happens When Unicode Strings Concatenate with Non-Unicode Strings?
- How To Convert a Unicode Strings to Non-Unicode Strings?
- What Are the Character String Functions Supported by SQL Server 2005?
- How To Insert New Line Characters into Strings?
- How To Locate and Take Substrings with CHARINDEX() and SUBSTRING() Functions?
- How To Concatenate Two Binary Strings Together?
- Can Binary Strings Be Used in Arithmetical Operations?
- How To Convert Binary Strings into Integers?
- Can Binary Strings Be Converted into NUMERIC or FLOAT Data Types?
- Can Binary Strings Be Converted into Character Strings?
- Can Binary Strings Be Converted into Unicode Character Strings?
- How To Convert Binary Strings into Hexadecimal Character Strings
- What Are Bitwise Operations?