Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - "CREATE USER" Statements - Creating a User
(Continued from previous topic...)
How to create a user to access a database using "CREATE USER" statements?
This is the second tutorial of a quick lesson on creating login
and configure users for databases with Transact-SQL statements.
Granting a user access to a database involves three steps. First, you create a login. The login lets the user connect to the SQL Server Database Engine. Then you configure the login as a user in the specified database. And finally, you grant that user permission to database objects. This lesson shows you these three steps, and shows you how to create a view and a stored procedure as the object.
This tutorial assumes that you are running SQL Server Management Studio Express.
Mary now has access to this instance of SQL Server 2005, but does not have permission to access the databases. She does not even have access to her default database TestData until you authorize her as a database user.
To grant Mary access, switch to the TestData database, and then use the CREATE USER statement to map her login to a user named Mary.
To create a user in a database -
Type and execute the following statements (replacing computer_name with the name of your computer) to grant Mary access to the TestData database.
CREATE USER [Mary] FOR LOGIN [computer_name\Mary];
Now, Mary has access to both SQL Server 2005 and the TestData database.
(Continued on next topic...)
- How to use Transact-SQL statements to access the database engine?
- How to create new databases with "CREATE DATABASE" statements?
- How to create new table with "CREATE TABLE" statements?
- How to insert and update data into a table with "INSERT" and "UPDATE" statements?
- How to read data in a table with "SELECT" statements?
- How to create a login to access the database engine using "CREATE LOGIN" statements?
- How to create a user to access a database using "CREATE USER" statements?
- How to create a view and a stored procedure using "CREATE VIEW/PROCEDURE" statements?
- How to grant a permission using "GRANT EXECUTE" statements?
- How to delete database objects with "DROP" statements?