Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQs - Creating/Managing Tables and Adding/Altering/Deleting Columns
A collection of 16 FAQs on creating and managing tables on SQL Server 2005. Clear answers are provided with tutorial exercises on creating, renaming, and deleting tables; reviewing, renaming, deleting and adding table columns; changing column data types.
Topics included in this collection are:
- What is a table?
- What are DDL (Data Definition Language) statements for tables?
- How to create new tables with "CREATE TABLE" statements?
- How To Get a List of All Tables with "sys.tables" View?
- How To Get a List of Columns using the "sys.columns" View?
- How To Get a List of Columns using the "sp_columns" Stored Procedure?
- How To Get a List of Columns using the "sp_help" Stored Procedure?
- How To Generate CREATE TABLE Script on an Existing Table?
- How to create new tables with "SELECT ... INTO" statements?
- How To Add a New Column to an Existing Table with "ALTER TABLE ... ADD"?
- How To Delete an Existing Column in a Table with "ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN"?
- How to rename an existing column with the "sp_rename" stored procedure?
- How to rename an existing column with SQL Server Management Studio?
- How to change the data type of an existing column with "ALTER TABLE" statements?
- How to rename an existing table with the "sp_rename" stored procedure?
- How To Drop an Existing Table with "DROP TABLE" Statements?
To follow tutorials in this collection, you should connect to SQL server
as the system administrator "sa" and run Transact-SQL statements presented in each tutorial.
It is assumed that you are using the temporary database, FyiCenterData, created in previous
(Continued on next topic...)