Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - Getting Parts of DATETIME Values as Integers
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Get Parts of DATETIME Values as Integers?
Sometimes, you want to one specific part of a DATETIME value as an integer
to be used in your own date and time calculations.
This can be done by using the DATEPART() function in the following format:
DATENAME(datepart, date) returns INT:
"date" - the input date
"datepart" - one of predefined date part names
See other tutorials for the list of names
In following tutorial example shows you how display a birth date
in a format of yyyy.m.d:
DECLARE @birth_date DATETIME;
SET @birth_date = '1987-05-19 16:10:41.403';
SELECT 'You were born on '
+ CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),DATEPART(year, @birth_date))
+ CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),DATEPART(month, @birth_date))
+ CONVERT(VARCHAR(10),DATEPART(day, @birth_date));
You were born on 1987.5.19
(Continued on next topic...)
- How To Add or Remove Days on Date and Time Values?
- Can Date and Time Values Be Converted into Integers?
- Can Integers Be Converted into Date and Time Values?
- Are DATETIME and NUMERIC Values Convertible?
- Can a DATETIME Value Be Subtracted from Another DATETIME Value?
- What Are the Date and Time Functions Supported by SQL Server 2005?
- How To Increment or Decrement Parts of DATETIME Values?
- How To Use DATEADD() Function?
- How To Calculate DATETIME Value Differences Using the DATEDIFF() Function?
- How To Calculate Age in Days, Hours and Minutes?
- How To Get Month and Weekday Names from DATETIME Values?
- How To Get Parts of DATETIME Values as Integers?
- How To Get Year, Month and Day Out of DATETIME Values?
- What Is the Difference Between GETDATE() and GETUTCDATE()?
- How To Format Time Zone in +/-hh:mm Format?
- How To Format DATETIME Values to Strings with the CONVERT() Function?
- How To Truncate DATETIME Values to Dates without Time?
- How To Set Different Parts of a DATETIME Value?