Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - OFFLINE - Taking a database offline
(Continued from previous topic...)
How to set a database state to OFFLINE?
If you want to move database physical files, you should take
the database offline by using the "ALTER DATABASE"
statement with the following syntax:
ALTER DATABASE database_name SET OFFLINE
The following tutorial example will bring "FyiCenterComData" offline:
ALTER DATABASE FyiCenterComData SET OFFLINE
SELECT name, state_desc from sys.databases
Msg 942, Level 14, State 4, Line 1
Database 'FyiCenterComData' cannot be opened because
it is offline.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What is a database?
- What is the simplest way to create a new database?
- How to set the current database?
- How to delete a database?
- Why I am getting this error when dropping a database?
- How to get a list all databases on the SQL server?
- Where is my database stored on the hard disk?
- How to create database with physical files specified?
- How to rename databases?
- Why I am getting this error when renaming a database?
- What are database states?
- How to set a database state to OFFLINE?
- How to move database physical files?
- How to set database to be READ_ONLY?
- How to set database to be SINGLE_USER?
- What are system databases?