Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - "sys.columns" - Getting a List of Columns in a Table
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Get a List of Columns using the "sys.columns" View?
If you have an existing table, but you don't remember what are the columns defined
in the table, you can use the "sys.columns" system view to get a list
of all columns of all tables in the current database.
In order to a list of columns of a single table, you need to join sys.columns and
sys.tables as shown in the tutorial example below:
SELECT * FROM sys.columns c, sys.tables t
WHERE c.object_id = t.object_id
AND t.name = 'tip'
object_id name column_id user_type_id max_length
2073058421 id 1 56 4
2073058421 subject 2 167 80
2073058421 description 3 167 256
2073058421 create_date 4 61 8
You can see the column names easily from the sys.columns view. But you can only see
the column type IDs. This requires another join to get the column type names. You may try
the "sp_columns" stored procedure to get a better list of columns shown in the next tutorial.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What is a table?
- What are DDL (Data Definition Language) statements for tables?
- How to create new tables with "CREATE TABLE" statements?
- How To Get a List of All Tables with "sys.tables" View?
- How To Get a List of Columns using the "sys.columns" View?
- How To Get a List of Columns using the "sp_columns" Stored Procedure?
- How To Get a List of Columns using the "sp_help" Stored Procedure?
- How To Generate CREATE TABLE Script on an Existing Table?
- How to create new tables with "SELECT ... INTO" statements?
- How To Add a New Column to an Existing Table with "ALTER TABLE ... ADD"?
- How To Delete an Existing Column in a Table with "ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN"?
- How to rename an existing column with the "sp_rename" stored procedure?
- How to rename an existing column with SQL Server Management Studio?
- How to change the data type of an existing column with "ALTER TABLE" statements?
- How to rename an existing table with the "sp_rename" stored procedure?
- How To Drop an Existing Table with "DROP TABLE" Statements?