Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - Generating CREATE FUNCTION Scripts on Existing Functions
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Generate CREATE FUNCTION Script on an Existing Function?
If you want to know how an existing user defined function was created, you can use
SQL Server Management Studio to automatically generate a "CREATE FUNCTION" script
The following tutorial shows you how to do this:
1. Run SQL Server Management Studio and connect to SQL server.
2. On the Object Explorer window, follow the object tree: Databases
> FyiCenterData > Programmability > Functions > Scalar-valued Functions > dbo.Sundays.
3. Click right mouse button on dbo.Sundays. The context menu shows up.
4. Select "Script Function as" > "CREATE to" > "New Query Editor Window".
The following script will be displayed:
/****** Object: UserDefinedFunction [dbo].[Sundays]
Script Date: 05/19/2007 23:24:36 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[Sundays]()
DECLARE @date DATETIME;
DECLARE @count INT;
SET @date = '2006-12-31';
SET @count = 0;
WHILE DATEPART(YEAR, @date) <= 2008 BEGIN
SET @date = DATEADD(DAY, 1, @date);
IF DATENAME(WEEKDAY, @date) = 'Sunday'
SET @count = @count + 1;
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Are User Defined Functions?
- What Are the Differences between User Defined Functions and Stored Procedures?
- How To Create a Simple User Defined Function?
- How To Use User Defined Functions in Expressions?
- How To List All User Defined Functions in the Current Database?
- How To Drop an Existing User Defined Function?
- How To Generate CREATE FUNCTION Script on an Existing Function?
- How To Get the Definition of a User Defined Function Back?
- How To Modify an Existing User Defined Function?
- How To Create User Defined Functions with Parameters?
- How To Provide Values to User Defined Function Parameters?
- Can You Pass Expressions to Function Parameters?
- How To Provide Default Values to Function Parameters?
- How Many Categories of Functions based Their Return Modes?
- How Many Ways to Create Table-Valued Functions?
- How To Create an Inline Table-Valued Function?
- How To Create an Multi-Statement Table-Valued Function?