Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - Passing Values to User Defined Function Parameters
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To Provide Values to User Defined Function Parameters?
If a user defined function is created with parameters,
you need pass values to those parameters when calling the function
with one of two formats listed below:
expression... function_name(value_1, value_2, ... value_n)...
The tutorial exercise below shows you how to pass values to function parameters:
DROP FUNCTION Welcome;
CREATE FUNCTION Welcome(@url VARCHAR(40))
RETURN 'Welcome to '+@url;
PRINT 'Hi there, '+dbo.Welcome('dba.FYIcenter.com');
Hi there, Welcome to dba.FYIcenter.com
PRINT 'Hi there, '+dbo.Welcome('dev.FYIcenter.com');
Hi there, Welcome to dev.FYIcenter.com
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Are User Defined Functions?
- What Are the Differences between User Defined Functions and Stored Procedures?
- How To Create a Simple User Defined Function?
- How To Use User Defined Functions in Expressions?
- How To List All User Defined Functions in the Current Database?
- How To Drop an Existing User Defined Function?
- How To Generate CREATE FUNCTION Script on an Existing Function?
- How To Get the Definition of a User Defined Function Back?
- How To Modify an Existing User Defined Function?
- How To Create User Defined Functions with Parameters?
- How To Provide Values to User Defined Function Parameters?
- Can You Pass Expressions to Function Parameters?
- How To Provide Default Values to Function Parameters?
- How Many Categories of Functions based Their Return Modes?
- How Many Ways to Create Table-Valued Functions?
- How To Create an Inline Table-Valued Function?
- How To Create an Multi-Statement Table-Valued Function?