Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - Requirements for Connecting PHP to MS SQL Server
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Do You Need to Connect PHP to SQL Server?
If you want to access MS SQL Server in your PHP script, you need
to make sure that:
1. MSSQL API module (extension) is installed and turned on in your PHP engine.
If you installed the Windows binary version of PHP 5.2.3, MSSQL API module is included
but not turned yet. See the next tutorial on turning on MSSQL API module.
If you are getting errors like: "Fatal error: Call to undefined function mssql_connect()",
you know that MSSQL API module is not turned on correctly.
See the next tutorial on turning on the MSSQL API module.
2. MS SQL Client Tools to be installed on the system where PHP is installed.
The PHP manual also suggested an alternative, which is to get a copy of the
SQL Server Client Libarary DLL, ntwdblib.dll. Again Windows binary version of PHP 5.2.3 contains
a copy of ntwdblib.dll.
If you are getting errors like: "Unable to load dynamic library './ext\php_mssql.dll'
- The specified module could not be found", you know that the DLL, ntwdblib.dll, is not installed
correctly. See the next tutorial on installing ntwdblib.dll.
(Continued on next topic...)
- How To Download and Install PHP on Windows?
- How To Check Your PHP Installation?
- What Do You Need to Connect PHP to SQL Server?
- How to Turn on the MSSQL API Module?
- What Is Wrong with SQL Server Client Libarary DLL, ntwdblib.dll?
- What Happens If ntwdblib.dll Is Missing on Your Machine?
- Where to Find ntwdblib.dll Version 2000.80.194.0?
- How To Connect with Different Port Numbers?
- What Are Commonly Used MSSQL Functions in PHP?
- How To Disconnect from a SQL Server using mssql_close()?
- How To Select an Exiting Database using mssql_select_db()?
- How To Execute a SQL Statement using mssql_query()?
- How To Retrieve Error Messages using mssql_get_last_message()?
- How To Turn Off Warning Messages during PHP Execution?
- How To Receive Returning Result from a Query?
- How To Loop through Result Set Objects using mssql_fetch_array()?
- How To Retrieve Field Values using mssql_result()?
- How To List All Field Names in the Result Set using mssql_field_name()?