Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - ntwdblib.dll - SQL Server Client Libarary DLL
(Continued from previous topic...)
What Is Wrong with SQL Server Client Libarary DLL, ntwdblib.dll?
The second requirement to access SQL Server with PHP scripts is
the SQL Server Client Libarary DLL, ntwdblib.dll. The good news is
that the Windows binary version of PHP 5.2.3 has ntwdblib.dll included in the
PHP home directory.
But the bad news is that the included copy of ntwdblib.dll is
not compatible with SQL Server 2005. What makes it worse is that no specific
error messages is returned from the PHP engine, php_mssql.dll, ntwdblib.dll,
or the SQL Server. All you get is "Unable to connect to server: LOCALHOST",
and you know that SQL Server is running properly on LOCALHOST.
If you read the PHP manual, it does mention that
"copying ntwdblib.dll from \winnt\system32 on the server (SQL Server machine)
to \winnt\system32 on the PHP box". This instruction is too short and causes
the following confusions:
- Windows binary version of PHP 5.2.3 already has a copy of ntwdblib.dll included.
But that copy is not good for SQL Server 2005.
- There is no ntwdblib.dll on the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition machine.
- You don't need to place ntwdblib.dll in \winnt\system32. Placing it in PHP home directory is fine.
(Continued on next topic...)
- How To Download and Install PHP on Windows?
- How To Check Your PHP Installation?
- What Do You Need to Connect PHP to SQL Server?
- How to Turn on the MSSQL API Module?
- What Is Wrong with SQL Server Client Libarary DLL, ntwdblib.dll?
- What Happens If ntwdblib.dll Is Missing on Your Machine?
- Where to Find ntwdblib.dll Version 2000.80.194.0?
- How To Connect with Different Port Numbers?
- What Are Commonly Used MSSQL Functions in PHP?
- How To Disconnect from a SQL Server using mssql_close()?
- How To Select an Exiting Database using mssql_select_db()?
- How To Execute a SQL Statement using mssql_query()?
- How To Retrieve Error Messages using mssql_get_last_message()?
- How To Turn Off Warning Messages during PHP Execution?
- How To Receive Returning Result from a Query?
- How To Loop through Result Set Objects using mssql_fetch_array()?
- How To Retrieve Field Values using mssql_result()?
- How To List All Field Names in the Result Set using mssql_field_name()?