Home >> FAQs/Tutorials >> SQL Server FAQ
SQL Server FAQ - sys.database_principals - Listing All User Names
(Continued from previous topic...)
How To List All User Names in a Database?
If you want to see a list of all user names defined in a database,
you can use the system view, sys.database_principals as shown in this tutorial exercise:
-- Login with sa
-- Select a database
-- List all user names
SELECT name, sid, type, type_desc
FROM sys.database_principals WHERE type = 'S';
name sid type type_desc
-------------------- ------------------------ ---- ---------
dbo 0x01 S SQL_USER
guest 0x00 S SQL_USER
INFORMATION_SCHEMA NULL S SQL_USER
sys NULL S SQL_USER
Fyi_User 0x5EB8701EAEBAA74F86F... S SQL_USER
(5 row(s) affected)
As you can see, there are 5 user names defined in "FyiCenterData".
4 are defined by SQL Server during the database creation process.
Only the last one "Fyi_User" was defined by you in the previous tutorial.
(Continued on next topic...)
- What Is the Security Model Used in SQL Server 2005?
- What Are Security Principals Used in SQL Server 2005?
- What Is the Security Principal at the Server Level That Represents Your Session?
- What Is the Security Principal at the Database Level That Represents Your Session?
- How To Create a New Login Name in SQL Server?
- How To Verify a Login name with SQLCMD Tool?
- How To List All Login Names on the Server?
- How To Change the Password of a Login Name?
- How To Change a Login Name?
- How To Disable a Login Name?
- How To Delete a Login Name?
- How To Create a User Name in a Database?
- How To List All User Names in a Database?
- How To Find the Login Name Linked to a Given User Name?
- How To Verify a User name with SQLCMD Tool?
- How To Change the Name of a Database User?
- How To Delete an Existing Database User?