To see other DBA job opportunities,
please visit http://dba.fyicenter.com/
PostgreSQL Database Administrator (DBA)
* Enjoy providing support and advice for developers writing applications that access the databases?
* Want to build and manage solutions that provide infrastructure for deploying, managing, and maintaining terabytes of databases?
* Prefer to understand how something works, versus simply being content with knowing it does work?
* Database design, diagnosis, tuning, and troubleshooting (primary job functions)
* Software development (for interfacing with developers, nothing beats having walked in the other guy's shoes)
* Configuration management (for automating some types of deploy/maintenance work)
* Bottleneck analysis, in both physical and virtual environments
* Recovery planning, from the database to the application
* Excellent internal customer service
* Holistic problem solving
* Sense of responsibility and follow-through
* Can-do attitude
* An eye for extrapolating possible side-effects from a known event, and vice versa
* More collaborative than heroic in problem-solving
* Enough experience and maturity to enjoy getting to shed turf-guarding, rejoice that you are not expected to know everything, and get straight problem-solving within a cross-functional team
* Help teammates with requirements analysis by asking probative questions when given a vague request
* Care and feeding of database systems, primarily Postgres, some Oracle and SQL Server.
* Must have or be willing to learn a deep understanding of Postgres behavior and internals.
* Work with development teams to design, implement, troubleshoot, monitor, and improve corporate projects.
* 1-3 years relevant experience.
* Experienced Linux user.
* Database administration (Postgres strongly preferred), including: installation, initialization, authentication, catalog navigation, query tuning, system tuning, resource contention analysis, backup and recovery, standby, replication, etc.
* Database design, to support developers in making scalable decisions in schema design and data processing models.
* Some experience with C, Perl and/or Bash is HIGHLY desirable.
To apply for this position, please visit
DBA FYI Center