To see other DBA job opportunities,
please visit http://dba.fyicenter.com/
Oracle , MySQL and PostgreSQL DBA
* Maintain core Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS). Regular monitoring and tuning of database systems to ensure uptime and efficient operation. Resource and capacity management working with Systems Administration staff.
* Recommend and design relational schemas for new projects. Create new databases and tables and set up processes for populating them with data as appropriate.
* Heavily involved in the migration of Oracle from Solaris to Red Hat Linux currently being planned.
* Work with the software development staff to architect efficient, robust and sustainable solutions for access to database resources.
* Ensure regular backups and snapshots of the database to ensure timely recovery of lost data. Respond to trouble reports and provide solutions to user problems.
* Maintain offsite (out of state) database(s) and backups.
* Develop and maintain stored procedures, views, and triggers.
* Maintain effective processes for stopping and starting database systems. Establish access permissions and resource allocations by user or group.
* Suggest new ways of managing data and metadata, more efficient techniques for data access transactions, new kinds of database technologies.
* Accept project assignments from the Director of Data Management.
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
* Bachelors degree in Computer Sciences, Earth Sciences, or similar technical field and/or similar professional experience
* Five years experience as a database administrator or other technical position with database administration responsibilities or equivalent, demonstrable experience.
* Detailed knowledge and experience with administration of major relational database systems, such as Oracle 11g, MySQL and PostgreSQL 9x.
* Strong skills in database concepts, including schema design and system tuning
* Experience with writing stored procedures and triggers, e.g. PL/SQL.
* Deep knowledge of UNIX operating systems with the ability to carry out administrative tasks
* Experience with managing and coding of the programmatic database query interfaces
* Expertise working with technical and scientific data is a plus
* C/C++ coding experience
* Java coding experience a plus
* Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to write meaningful documentation
* Expected to provide effective estimates of work and achieve development milestones with relaxed or tight timetables
To apply for this position, please visit
DBA FYI Center