More DBA job interview questions and answers at
(Continued from previous question...)
TECHNICAL QUESTIONS WHICH HAVE BEEN PUT TO KENT STUDENTS
These are often asked at interviews for science, engineering, computing or research posts and where the interviewee has a relevant degree background. Briefly revise any particularly relevant areas of your course, especially projects. Normally these questions are not too difficult. Sometimes a funneling technique is used, where the questions start at a simple and broad level and then gradually become more specific and detailed - perhaps until they reach the point where you cannot answer any further! For example:
* What is the structure and function of an antibody?
* How do you make antibodies?
* What are the disadvantages of an animal-originating antibody?
* How can these be overcome?
(Biochemistry student applying for patent attorney position)
Occasionally problems arise because the interviewer is a technical specialist without much interviewing experience. In this situation they are likely to home in on the parts of your application that they feel most comfortable with - usually projects and work experience.
BIOSCIENCE, CHEMISTRY and PHARMACY
* What is the polymerase chain reaction?
* What do HIV, IgG, PEG2 stand for?
* What structure does NH2-CH2-COOH belong to?
* Suggest a route to synthesise ethylene glycol
* About my final year project (synthesis of dendrivers)
* Technical questions about electron microscopes, ice cores, ice conductivity.
* Give me example of drug-drug interaction and explain with the mechanism of action, what you would do to prevent it. (Pharmacy)
PHYSICS and SPACE SCIENCE
* How did your physics background help with this application for an engineering role?
* Gave tests: fault finding, mechanical pulleys and levers, spatial ability - "spot the difference"
* How to calculate an orbit at a given altitude?
* Radiation effects on spacecraft and how to overcome these?
* Which orbits were best for different types of satellite?
* What instruments were found on satellites? How did these work? What were they used for?
* Questions about wave guides and electromagnetic propagation down the wave guides.
* Questions of topics related to my degree: space environment (radiation, heat, magnetic fields), space power (solar cells), space craft orbits (how to calculate orbit time given altitude), solar wind, interactions of charged particles, Van Allen belts, radiation effects on spacecraft and how to overcome these.
* Questions about electromagnetism
* Questions about general properties of plasma
(Continued on next question...)